Monday, April 02, 2007

my one word

my one word is COMMIT.

i have a hard time committing to things. many times it's out of fear. what will happen if i commit to this or that? will my free time be infringed upon? will too much be expected of me? will i lose freedom? will i lose....SOMETHING?

i was challenged by Mike Ashcraft, pastor of Port City Church yesterday. He was preaching a follow up sermon to his church regarding One word vs. New Years Resolutions. His point was if we can identify one word that represents what we want to focus on, it is more likely we will be successful. Focusing on one thing is easier than 10 things.

His word was FINISH. At first, it just meant finishing tasks, finishing conversations and following up on them. Or simply finishing is work day well. Then it turned into finishing his whole day well. He was able to focus on finishing. He also quoted this verse, Psalm 90:12: So teach us to number our days so that we may attain a heart of wisdom. I love that verse. Each day should count for Christ.

What kinds of things do I want to commit to? I'd like to commit to finishing tasks at work (which today includes committing to finishing this blog). I'd like to commit to serving my community somehow. I'd like to commit to coming home and journaling about my day so I can look back and reflect on what God is doing at this time in my life. I'd like to commit my life to my God.

Those are just some of the things I'd like to commit to. I'm sure there will be other things that surface as I let the Lord lead me. I want the Lord to change me and I want to commit to letting him do that!

For more info on One Word see My One Word

No comments: