Sunday, April 22, 2007

I forget

In the last week, I've heard two stories that have reminded me that the Gospel (the good news) of Jesus Christ actually has transforming power in people's lives.

First, I had dinner with my friends, J and S. S was not raised in any sort of religious environment. When she was 30 years old, she read a tract from the Billy Graham folks. In that moment after she finished, she recognized her sinful state and believed what she read in that simple little tract -- Jesus Christ came to seek and save the lost -- that he died so that she might live. She really believed. Her life changed. She still talks about that moment in her life and all I see in her eyes is love for this Savior. Upon listening to her share her story, I got chills and tears welled up in my eyes. He IS real. It is truth. He changed people. He changes people.

This morning, at the end of the service, a man stood up to read a letter from a missionary couple in Nairobi, Kenya. The letter started out by telling the recipients that they had a new daughter, Mary. Mary is a Kenyan woman, 26 years old. She was raised in a strict Muslim home. She has chosed to follow Christ. Apparently, upon finding out this news, her family tried to kill her! They beat her severely, but she managed to escape. Now, she has no contact with her family. This was 2 years ago. Mary struggles with the separation she feels from her "real" family. This missionary couple who shared Christ with her, has taken her in as their daughter. Not long ago, on the 2nd anniversary of her beating, she sat on a bench near a shopping mall praying. She asked God why there had to be this separation. What was her purpose as a Christian? When Mary opened her eyes, sitting next to her in full Muslim dress was a young woman. Mary sat there and shared with this young woman (known simply as "F") the message of Jesus Christ. The woman was open to the message Mary shared with her. That is where the letter ended. Mary went home that night feeling like God has answered her prayer. She was now able to share this one who had changed her life with others!

The letter then had an additional note. The missionary had added a post script. This young lady, "F", had made a decision to follow Christ. She said it was the first time she had known peace.

It's amazing. I have been a Christian so long that I've forgotten what it really means. Tonight I thanked God for restoring some of the wonder of it all. I want the awe of the gospel to return to my life. It does change people.

"To those who believe, He is precious.." I Peter 2:7

No comments: