Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A Great Tragedy

Surely everyone knows what occurred on the campus of Virginia Tech yesterday. I've been trying to think of what to blog in response to it. Words don't come easily at times like this. You just wonder how something like this can happen. Evil is tangible these days. You can't read the news without your stomach being turned by something you read. Injustice, the total depravity of man, natural disasters, death, sickness, etc.

The words of this hymn always seem to comfort me. May they comfort you upon reading them. Here are two verses that I believe are most applicable.

Be Still My Soul

Be still, my soul, though dearest friends depart
And all is darkened in the vale of tears;
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrows and thy fears.
Be still, my soul; thy Jesus can repay
From His own fulness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul; the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul; when change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

No comments: