Saturday, December 30, 2006

Pilates

I'm on the comeback trail....FINALLY! "What was the breaking point?" you may ask. Well, it was seeing the love handles (i have anything but love for them) and seeing how some of my fitted shirts weren't laying as gracefully against my body as they did just a few months ago. There was this little bulge sticking out. GROSS. I felt gross. I know physical appearance isn't everything and you may read this and think i'm vain. I admit, since high school, I've been a little bit weight/body obsessed and possibly may have some issue with self esteem. WHAT FEMALE DOESN'T? I went to a high school where only thin girls got dates. I wasn't thin. I was athletic. Anyway.....I had been doing so well almost a year ago all the way up until summer (after July 4th I think). I don't know what happened, but the gradual slide became a vertical drop. So, last week while up in Chicago I told my love handly self, "enough is enough." I went to the Y after work this past Wednesday. I was all set to do a cardio workout and then a few weights afterward when I decided to glance at the class schedule. A Pilates class was going to start in 15 minutes!!! Wooo hooo. I then made a mad dash to my car, opened the trunk and grabbed my pilates mat that had been untouched for a very long time. The class was amazing. It was challenging. Since leaving Wilmington years ago, I hadn't taken a class that really got me excited and left me feeling challenged. I'm still feeling the pain from that class in my abs and arse and it's Saturday. All it takes is one class you enjoy to get you motivated! I've been to to the gym 3 times this week -- I'm feeling good. And really, feeling good and feeling good about yourself is what it's all about!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for you!! Why don't we just call those flesh protuberances Hate Handles, since ain't nobody love 'em except the pilsbury doughboy?

I'm so with you, sister.. I gotta get into the gym for real before I go all easter egg.. Kudos to you. I'll give you updates from the pool and the weight room..

Anonymous said...

What's an "arse"? ; )

Amy said...

Can you send a little motivation my way while you're at it? I can't even tell you the last time I exercised.

allisonmoore said...

wait! didn't you take a class with ME last august in so cal? was that not motivating? but i know what you mean...its been a while since i've been there myself and actually did some pilates exercises out of a BOOK the other day, in sheer desperation. But i'm stiill a little sore, I admit. and that was like three days ago! what does that tell ya?
nah, don't answer that...