Monday, December 18, 2006

Grandma

I can remember her singing to me when it was time for a nap. She would sing, "I will make you fishers of men, fishers of men, fishers of men. I will make you fishers of men if you follow me." It's a song about Jesus and how by entering into a relationship with him, we'll want to tell others about Him and "catch" them for Christ, per se. It's funny. As I type out those words, I'm thinking, "that doesn't sound that great." Who want to be caught up in a net? No thanks. Ha!

Anyway, Grandma Jeanne passed away last week. We'll be flying up to Chicago on Thursday morning for her Memorial Service. I have cousins, aunts,uncles and family friends that will gather to honor my Grandma. It's really a bittersweet thing. She was old, did not have a great quality of life, but she was my last grandparent. I was thinking about this last night. It's weird to think of a family tree getting shortened. Many times, grandparents are the roots, the stability of a family. The give us wisdom and strength. They give us a heritage.

I loved my grandma. Memories are coming to mind left and right and I'll have to make time soon to write them down so I can share something at the service.

Life has only now begun for her.

No comments: