Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mountain Biking

I felt outdoorsy yesterday. It's not often I feel this way, but I always welcome it. I feel more like an Ashevillian when I do stuff like mountain biking, camping, hiking, etc.
I spent the weekend hanging with my brother, Blake, who is 15 (almost 16). 16 is how old I was when my parents adopted Blake. That is wild.
Anyway, my folks are in Ireland on vacation with the Hamiltons and so various folks are helping with watching over my brother and to make sure he is safe and sound. Instead of staying up at my parents' house all weekend, I decided to bring him back to Charlotte. So, Saturday, we ventured back down this way. The highlight of the day for me was taking him to the US National Whitewater Center which is just a few minutes down I-85! It is definitely worth the trip if you haven't been there. Here's the link. We rented our bikes and hit the trail. I suggest not renting bikes unless you don't have one. It's a bit pricey. I didn't mind doing it this time because it was a special outing, but I plan on getting my Gary Fisher tuned up for the next time around. Anyway, we hit the Main Trail which is several miles around. I thought the trail would be fairly easy, but wow, it was challenging. I think I'm in pretty good shape, but this tested my limits. I had to get off of my bike a few times and walk it up the hill. My heart rate was definitely up there for awhile. Anyway, my brother did awesome and was having a good time. He didn't like it when people whizzed by though. I guess he felt that he was too good to be passed. Ha! Anyway, it was a good time and definitely has inspired me to get back out there. I'd also like to do the ropes course, the climbing wall and actually go Whitewater rafting at the center. The restaurant there has also gotten great reviews. It's a great way to spend a day -- especially when the weather is as nice as it was yesterday (high 60's).

No comments: