Thursday, January 11, 2007

Open Mic

Over a month ago, Steve and I ventured out to Open Mic at The Evening Muse in NoDa (Arts District of Charlotte). Now, before I totally rip on the people that performed, I will say that at least they're getting up there and doing it! The average age of the people performing must have been 15. I know there were at least two 13 year old boys (one of which was about to sign a record deal). Overall that night was disappointing. There were lots of moments of off key singing, cheesy songs written by 13 year olds, etc.

But yesterday, my friend Dana e-mailed and said Open Mic was at the Muse at 8pm and she would be performing. Of course, I wanted to support her and I desperately wanted Open Mic to redeem itself. I journeyed over there around 8:30 because Dana had said they have a warm up sing along for the first half hour to get everyone comfortable. When I arrived they were still singing and playing and warmed up. So, I sat there and I watched and listened. I grew more and more appreciative of what these folks are doing. Most are just starting out in their musical careers. Most are very talented people who need a venue to perform. Dana is an excellent singer who has only been taking guitar lessons for about 4 months now!

Dana had the first performance slot and I was really impressed. She did a cover of a Patti Griffin song and did a great job. She definitely has to focus on the guitar chords more than she wants, but whatever -- it's difficult to play and sing at the same time! She even played a 2nd song (which she was not prepared for) -- a Nickel Creek song. She didn't get all the chords right, but it didn't matter a bit! No one cared except for her.

The other folks included a couple of 13 yr old guitar players (who sing too) who knocked my socks off, a 16 yr old girl with a beautiful voice and who plays both guitar and yukelele (sp?), and then a smattering of other older folks. Granted, some were more talented than others. I'd say the younger ones outshined the older folks.

Last night I walked away admiring all of these people. Getting up in front of strangers and not caring how you sound or, at the very least, acting like you don't care is something to be proud of! Open Mic is a great way to practice your performance and get over fear.

I told Dana next time maybe I'll sing backup or shake the egg for her. We'll see, maybe I'll pick up my guitar again. I'm feeling inspired.

No comments: