Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Andrew the Martyr

I've been reading in this book Foxe's Book of Martyrs this evening. Really, a lot of us who profess to be Christians have no clue what the early Christians had to deal with as a result of following Christ. I'm no sure what percentage of the early Christians died horrible, painful deaths, but it was common.

One martyr's story struck me. It's Andrew's story. Remember him? Andrew was Peter's brother and he was also a disciple. Well, he died a painful death. Like his teacher, the object of his devotion and his God, he died by crucifixion.

In the book, it gives the account of what Andrew's last moments were like. Here's an excerpt from the book:

"Andrew, going toward the place, and seeing afar off the cross prepared, did change neither countenance nor colour, neither did his blood shrink, neither did he fail in his speech, his body fainted nor was his mind molested, nor did his understanding fail him, as it is the manner of men to do, but out of the abundance of his heart his mouth did speak, and fervent charity did appear in his words as kindled sparks, he said, "O cross, most welcome and long looked for! with a willing mind, joyfully and desirously, I come to thee, being the scholar of Him which did hang on thee: because I have always been they lover, and have coveted to embrace thee!"

Wow. I mean, seriously, Wow! Who in modern times follows Christ with such devotion and dies so courageously? I know there are stories, but they don't seem to be in our neck of the woods. China, yes. Parts of Africa, I'm sure. It causes me to question my own devotion? Do I love my God so much that I would welcome, look forward to being martyred for his name?

It's definitely a sobering subject, yes?

May those of us who are Christ followers consider our heritage and be thankful that there were those brave enough to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ in the face of certain death and at the very least, great persecution.

No comments: