Monday, September 03, 2007

Lovin' Phil

I downloaded the iTunes essential Phil Collins today. I had forgotten how much I loved Phil until listening to a podcase of This American Life the other day. The title of the show was Breakups. The show focused on this one woman's attempt to write a song in the aftermath of her breakup. Her boyfriend broke up with her and she was devastated. One of the cheesily romantic things they shared was a love for Phil. So, who did this woman consult while attempting to write a song to convey her feelings after the breakup? Phil Collins. After her breakup, she found that his songs were the ones that described her feelings. When her boyfriend broke up with her, she actually quoted Phil. Now, that may be taking it a bit too far, but it was this line from Against All Odds, "You're the only one who really knew me at all." You know, Phil really does know how to write a love song.

So, here's to Phil.

Some of my favorites:

Against All Odds
Easy Lover (with the black Phil)
In Too Deep
Separate Lives (with Vonda Shepard)
In the Air Tonight

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this yesterday and thought about it when I read your blog entry on Phil...

Anonymous said...

... and another thing, how can you listen to "In The Air Tonight" and NOT do the air drums?

Amy said...

I listened to the same This American Life and had flashbacks to high school with all the Phil Collins. Don't you love Ira Glass?